Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bushwacker63, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bushwacker63

bushwacker63 Active Member

Well, i'm going to sum up the pros and cons of the 360, and PS3 the best I can. I will be presenting them in 3 different categories, based on the console hardware itself (including accessories), the software (games), and the online service it provides you, pros and cons people!

( in the end it all comes down to what you like, and what you prefer)

Xbox 360: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/

Pros:

Hardware:
    Three different types of 360's to purchase, the 360 Arcade, ---, or Elite. Their fairly cheap for being a great console, each giving you different choices in price, backwards compatability, and playing in High-Definition. Removeable harddrive, 2 Memory Card slots, 2 USB ports, ethernet port, wireless port, dvd player. Many accessories ranging from wired chargers to new faceplates & HDMI DVD Player. Wired controllers (also work on PC) along with the battery munching wireless controllers. ( Just buy Energizer rechargeables, with the charger, you'll be set for 2 years). Ever since the fall update, the 360 has got itself keyboard support, which really helps out when your IMing, or just signing up for Live.

Software:
    A huge list of different games, some exclusives. A giant list of Xbox Originals keeps getting updated for backwards compatability, see this link for the list. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...ygameslist.htm

Online Service:
    Downloadable Movies, Tv shows, Music Videos, Game videos, and shorts. Downloadable Game Demos, Live Arcade, Xbox Originals, dashboard themes, gamerpictures, Game add-ons, and much more.3 different ways to pay for online, friends list, chat & IM, online tournaments, Gamertag, player reputation, achievements, ability to play music while playing online, or offline. Windows media center compatable, for streaming music/video (if you can't fit it on your harddrive), Xbox Live Vision (camera for playing UNO, Texas hold em' etc...).

Cons:

Hardware:
    Everybody knows the failure rate of the 360 at launch due to overheating, freezing etc... it was about I heard in the mid 30's, which a console should be below 5%. You'll never know when yours is ready to kick the bucket. But fortunately, the warrenties were extended for 3 years and repair services seemed to work. Microsoft makes you buy a lot of add on accessories just to keep you gaming, such as the wired charger, great device, but it shouldn't be necessary! The AA batteries should be able to last long enough, instead their gobbled up by your wireless controller. Some idiots try to fix the 360 with towells, which work for a week then your ------ed. Basically thats just the biggest problem for the 360 but now the hardware failure is A LOT lower than it was. Also, the Live headset that comes with the --- is worthless, it will break after a month, best thing to do there is get the wireless one, works great, never fails.

Software:
    Everybody hates to spend $65.00 on a game, when sometimes the game BLOWS. Fortunately theres a fix to this, and it's called www.gamefly.com , or you could just read reviews on the internet and see for yourself. Ever since "next-gen" graphics the price has been raised but thats what we get if we want beautiful games I guess...

Online Service:
    Yes Xbox Live is an excellent service, but why the ------ is it $50.00/year?! Well the answere to that is greedy Microsoft, and its just a good service, but it lacks a couple things. 1 It doesn't have an internet browser, 2 M$ gives you tainted updates (Fall, they shouldda really tested it better), 3 ESRB ------s you over if your under 18 for downloading M rated demos, M= 17+, but they want you to turn 18 to play M rated games, which makes no muther------ing sense at all.

P.S. If i forgot anything, don't hesitate to tell me, can I get a sticky please? (how do I?)

Playstation 3: http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/landing.aspx#

Pros:

Hardware: One of its biggest +'s is the slick, black sexy design & chrome trim Sony gave it. A very nice 40/80GB harddrive, plus lets not forget about the(whats the touch power button called), it's one of the newer additions to any next-gen console and its virtually silent without overheating. Unlike the Xbox 360, their controllers DON'T use batteries, they have a USB cable (also many usb ports) that you just charge when your not playing! Some other features include the Playstation 2 compatability(software emulatioin), SACD support, flash card readers, 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi, a slot-loading 2x speed Blu-ray Disc drive for games, Blu-ray movies, DVDs, CDs, and other optical media, and numerous accessories for the console have been developed for the system, including the wireless Sixaxis controller, the BD Remote, the PlayStation Eye camera and the upcoming PlayTV DVB-T tuner/digital video recorder accessory.

Software: As for games, we all know that the Xbox 360 dominated 06' & 07', but contrary to popular belief, everyone thinks its time for the Playstation 3's comeback to start in 08'. The game list line-up its incredibly impressive (see link for FULL list of games) http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=240226

Online Service: The number one thing is most definitally is that Playstation Network is FREE. Everyone loves the built-in internet browser, Wi-Fi, and media card readerscheck for browsing the internet and viewing it from your tv! You can also load various Operating Systems such as Linux! Not only that, but you can download a program that uses some of your computing power to help find a cure for cancer! (optional). Last but definitally not least, is the highly anticipated Playstation Home. The Playstation Home a new free-to-download community based service for the PlayStation Network, which allows users to create an avatar character for their PlayStation 3 system. This avatar will get its own apartment, which can be adorned by items players can receive in several ACHIEVEMENTS (yes, calling all achievement whores). Sony is also planning to expand this feature in the future, and they describe it as "a Second Life-like experience and will allow gamers everywhere to interact in a virtual world."

Cons:

Hardware: Well there really isn't any cons about that hard ware to list except when you go to buy a PS3, you have to buy either a 40GB, or an 80GB. According to wikipedia, there are 3 other choices with different pros and cons that aren't in production really.

Software: Yes we all know that the Playstation 3 doesn't have as many games as the Xbox 360, but it will change very soon.

Online Service: I guess the old saying goes, you get what you paid for. But Sony has recognized this problem, they aware of it and they are working on it.

-Bushwacker63 :lol:

2. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

i think the playstation network is just fine tbh

3. bushwacker63

honestly, me too.. but apparently theres a lot of poeple that think theres room for improvement, which there always is, i mean the home will be a cool feat, but updates after that seem a bit unnecessary IMO.

4. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

Is this really necessary?
    There wasn't this much of a debate and argument when ps2 and the regular xbox were released, so why now? >_>

5. jkcimafranca

jkcimafranca Well-Known Member

all i got to say is. PS3 FTW,

In my opinion, if you have an XBOX, no need to get a 360. Just go for the PS3

woot

6. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

And I disagree, if you've got a PS2...get a 360.

It's always going to be opinion based, I've no qualms about admitting I'm a 360 "Fanboy" ever since I bought the first xbox (Which seemed far better then the PS2 at the time, graphically + Hardware)

End of the day, we're never going to agree, fair comparisons are pointless.

7. :: Blaze ::

:: Blaze :: Well-Known Member

Uhm... PS3 games are also $65 (at least in the Netherlands, both 360 and PS3 games are €70 here), so you can add that too. ;)

8. n00bie

n00bie Well-Known Member

They each have their pros and cons, it comes down to whoever has the games that you like.

9. Chris*

Chris* Well-Known Member

Exactly.

10. Greasy Pete

Greasy Pete Senior Member

the one thing that i think sucks big time about the ps3 is you cant play music while playing a video game..

i think you'll be able to soon, though

11. bushwacker63

^^.... I THOUGHT you could??....

12. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

No, you can't.

13. Pulse.

Pulse. Well-Known Member

another thread about all this?really?

PS3 wins imo end of discussion, especially with Sony making the PlayTV and the consoles functionality with the PSP now and in the future. Does the 360 have something like this coming? i dont think so but i might be wrong as i dont really look into 360 world. The 360 has been out longer than the PS3 as well.

The PS3 has Blu-ray which is winning the new dvd format war against HD-DVD(now with the movie makers leaving it or jumping to blu-ray), the 360 doesnt have this at all. you have to buy the HD-DVD player seperately which again is losing the format war.

Game wise the 360 has far too many shooting games.. the PS3 has a nice mix of games that are new and fresh and more to come that look really interesting.

Personally i dont care about listening to my own music while i play the games on my PS3 if i had the option too. I like listening to the music of the game as it sometimes does help to create an atmosphere whilst playing the game.

14. AG Cliche

AG Cliche Well-Known Member

I have both consoles.. One major difference between them is the game play..

Example..
    I have Madden '08 for both PS3 and 360.. On PS3 Madden runs a lot slower than what it does on the 360, not really sure if it is just me or does anyone else realize the game play is slower on the PS3?!?

PS3 does have a variety of different games out for the system, but I would have to say I like the 360 games a lot more(Halo is the shiiat.)

15. BiG-ReD

BiG-ReD Well-Known Member

I have both PS3 and 360 and i like XBL ALOT more then PSN. besides that i dont see a big difference for me