Hdmi Cable Question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Coolguy, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Coolguy

Coolguy Well-Known Member

Couple of questions

Im getting a HDTV delivered to my house 2morrow, and i would ask this question then but i wont have internet so anyway

What is HDMI cable, and why the hell is it 200 bucks for a 15 meter and such?

Do I need it for HD?

Whats a DVI and can i use that?

also what about a s-cable?

2. oasis420

oasis420 Senior Member

well here ill explain this as best i can.

with your HDTV there are prolly 2 types of HD connections the green red and blue connection (forget what this type is called) and the HDMI connection.

HDMI is the best HD connection out right now, but unless your TV doesnt have the red green and blue connection then you will need it.

im almost positive s-video is NOT HD (like 99.9%) but it is better then your analog or AV cables (white red yellow)

and the DVI connection would be mainly for connecting a PC to your TV (most gfx cards have a DVI output)
    ------------
    Summary: unless you have a device that requires an HDMI connection (HD-DVD, the xbox 360 can use it etc.) then you will be fine with the GREEN RED and BLUE cord.
    in order of quality:
    1.HDMI
    2.RGB (red green blue cable)
    3.svideo
    4.AV
    5.coaxial (liek the cord that connects from your wall/satellite to your reciever or cable box)

hope that helps ya :)

EDIT: o yea haha the reason HDMI cables are so expensive is because they are pretty new and they are hands down the best HD cables on the market today, many people i know who use HDMI say its worth it but if you are strapped on cash then your best bet would be to go with the RGB (red green blue) cables (if your tv has those connections)

3. Phritz

Phritz Senior Member

For now Composite Cables (that green blue one) are the best bet, HDMI is just a cable bundle, kinda like Scart (I've ojnly seen scart in euro) S-Video isn't HD, but its better then that single cable because it seperates colour from brightness, dunno what component seperates but it goes up to 1080p, the only difference between Scart and HDMI is the digitlness, Scart is analogue, HDMI is digital (sorry I'm using scart as a comparison for non euro people but the american component + plus stereo cables only gives stereo sound :/)

Hoped that helped a bit,

4. Coolguy

Coolguy Well-Known Member

wow thanks, never knew that. Wait so i can use the DVI to connect my pc to my tv? I thought i needed some other crap to do that.

5. oasis420

oasis420 Senior Member

let me double check on that ill get abck to you on it.

Merged Post:

yup you should be able to but you will have to change the resolution of your comp to match that of your TV or it will look funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

6. Dark_Elite

Dark_Elite Senior Member

Alright...

Here you goes :D

HDMI is not required for HD etc, it has all cables (Video and Audio) in one small cable. The "expensive" ones are usually Monster, but you can get similar quality (at 1080p its hard to tell anyway) with cheaper $20-60 brands. HDMI will only give you HD and Surround sound *IF* your Surround Sound Box supports HDMI. Plugging it into your TV will only give you 2-Channel (Stereo) audio and HD.

Component [Y'PbPr / Red Green Blue] is my preference, although it only goes to 1080i [some do 1080p I believe] , its still very powerful and cheap. Its cheaper than HDMI (over 50% cheaper in most cases) and give similar quality. You will get one cable that splits into 5 ends, 3 are video, 2 are audio (or something like that) Component is also much more supported than HDMI as you can use it as a Composite cable also.

S-Video is kinda-sorta sub-par. I've never gotten it to work 100%, but basically its the same quality +/- 25% than Composite (Standard 3-plug RCA cables)

The Composite are the worst other than coaxial, but most older TVs use em.

Coaxial is standard for getting TV to your TV Tuner or TV, but again, its the lowest quality.

If your using a Xbox 360 your best bet is using Component Cables (comes with 360) and a Optical Audio port. Optical meets if not surpasses HDMI audio quality, and its p00nage

DVI - few TV's have DVI, since its a rare-er cable, and its slightly expensive, but if your TV has it, it will give you Computer-Like Quality (usually max resolution = 1080p, but DVI supports much higher)

VGA - currently (other than elite) the only way to get 1080p on the 360, but VGA is another powerful cable that will give you Computer-Like visuals that will not only be able to get 1080p, but go higher, its only limited by your TV, as most VGA cables/systems get up to a large amount

Check "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution"

Anyway, basically if you want one cable, and your Surround Sound box supports it, HDMI.

If you want to get similar quality for cheaper, Component + Optical

If you want standard (480i) quality, s-video and lower

7. homeboy9

homeboy9 Senior Member

HDMI is not a cable bundle. Its WAAAY better then composite. Composite does support hd, but it doesnt do it as good as HDMI. Both can support 1080p but HDMI can go higher then that when the need becomes available component has 1 for video and 2 channels for audio. And Yes HDMI is ALL digital, composite isnt which means not as good :P

8. PhanE

PhanE Well-Known Member

I think if you use a regular cable you would get a buzzing sound because i have an HD TV and don't have one of those cables and some say its because i dont have that cable.