Selling .Psd Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bratzer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. bratzer

bratzer Senior Member

Hey guys,

Over the past period i have been looking into the marketplace and everything that happeneds there. People are willing to trade everything nowadays...

.Psd files is one of those things...Personally i never sell those files because of the opertunity to rip them. I gave out one sig-pack for people to studie/learn, which was a succes.

Now people are starting to sell massive amounts of .psd files, that alone isnt a problem..but...
    ^That is a problem to me personally. Whats that supposed to mean? Can i claim that sig as mine after i bought it? Can i enter it in a sotw? Can i rip is because it is basically mine now?

I strongly oppose against this for the reasons named aboved! Sigs are personal items on which you have spent alot of time! Be a bit more respectfull with em ;)

I am really afraid on what this selling will bring on behalve of future ripping incidents...

Lemme know your thoughts guys ;)

Sincerely,
    Bratzer

2. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

i havent yet bought a psd but i would like to examine some for educational purposes :)
    soo i'm for it but with strict rules.

3. Audacious

Audacious Senior Member

I can't really say I agree with selling psd's, I've made psd packs in the past for learning and yes I've been ripped. However it wasn't my best work and the ripper was caught so all's good.

Some people may wish to sell there psd's, so it's slightly different, there wanting some kind of profit (reward) for there psd. So as long as the people selling their psd's realize that there work is open to abuse then by all means allow them to sell them.

So to sum up

Free Psd's get ripped is bad

Bought Psd's that get abused then it's your own fault for being greedy

4. n00bie

n00bie Well-Known Member

I think an individual can sell psds that they made themselves. Its up to u really, if u want to give up your work, then so be it. But reselling someone else's psd is a whole different matter. The risk of rippers when selling your psd is a risk that everyone must take. You have to understand the consequences before you sell your psd.

5. Fluid

Fluid Well-Known Member

I voted yes for many reasons, but the main one being that it is the artist's choice. If they want to give up their rights to the image that is their choice to make. They can decide to sell them under many different rules that they themselvles lay down. They have the choice to or not to give out the rights to the signature/template/splash or whatever it might be.

6. nayr`

nayr` Well-Known Member

Yes under strict rules!
    • Dont claim as yous
    • Must put their name on it somewhere in the sig
    That's what I would do. ;)

7. himster

himster Well-Known Member

Here is an idea:

If you are selling the .psd, just put a faint 'made by ...' layer on top, and merge it with an important layer, then they can't really do much.

8. nayr`

nayr` Well-Known Member

Yeah like I said: Make their name be on it somewhere..

Woo 1700 Post !!

9. UV Soaked

UV Soaked Well-Known Member

i say... there should be a rule that we cant sell psds.. al these uber noobs are learning fast and stufff cause of psds..so i dont know..

-_--_-_-_-----_

cheers..so i say no..people should less psds anymore, and ripping is very popular now, like even when people buy psds they like may take something u used from it or something, u know?

cheers

10. nayr`

nayr` Well-Known Member

Very True, UV Soaked. I let me friend borraw a PSD he ripped the BG and added his own color. :P I beat him up for it, though. :D

11. elusive.

elusive. Well-Known Member

^ I agree completely.

OMG YOU STOLE MY AVATAR! Glad to see another Rolling Stones fan :D

12. mC² vV

mC² vV Well-Known Member

I dont think i agree with them either. Even though I have bought and sold some, i don't think its right. The fact that people are claiming the psd they get is theirs, and they go to another gfx site claiming it is theirs, and getting a mod or admin spot for something they got for free. So no i dont believe we should sell them for the fact of the ripping and how much trouble you can get into with them.

13. UV Soaked

UV Soaked Well-Known Member

so i vote no.... for a ton of reaons, its time for people to be original and come up with there own ideas...

cheers

14. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

Well i went for Yes with strict rules.

I think the idea of himster should be used into merging a faint name onto a important layer. This will surely stop the ripper from claiming its his/her work.

Well its up to the maker if they want to sell their PSD but the maker should lay some rules down or more work will get ripped and claimed as their own OR you should stop selling the PSD so that the rippers make their own work (2 minded)

15. Darkmirage

Darkmirage Well-Known Member

I dun mind if all they're doing is trying to learn from it. But that may ba hard to ensure... I've sold some psds before, but I do mention that they may not claim them as their works.

Not sure if how many of them actually care