PDA

View Full Version : Odd Issue...hd Related. Windows Crash.

xlink
09-30-2005, 09:26 PM
for some odd reason, windows is at times unable to detect all of my partitions Othertimes, it is unable to detect any IDE devices and freezes at that part of BIOS load up. This is really, odd. The computer also seems to randomly freeze and then prompts with a blue screen to uninstall software or hardware which is causing system instability. I am fairly confident that it isn't a software related issue and this is a fairly new Windows install and I have kept the computer fairly clean, No P2P etc.

any insights on what might help? The computer seems perfectly fine at the moment, but I am willing to bet that this will resurface within a few restarts.

xanax
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
huh, well, if ur sure its not software related then go ahead and restart a few times and see what happens

xlink
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
ok, will do. I'll see what hapens.

EDIT: i restarted three times in a row without conflict.(when i say restart, I mean I went all the way through the point where windows was begginning to load and then i soft reseteed with the reset button on the computer.)

XMasterX
10-01-2005, 10:18 AM
could be heat exhaustion as well. make sure your hard drive, gpu, cpu, or any other component isn't overheating. If you have any dust in your case, that could be the culprit as well...

xlink
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I put my hand over the CPU fan and al air feels cool, cooler than the surrounding area, last time i checked BIOS, it was about 35C Airflow shouldn't be a problem. This seems fine though I haven't had the issue since I swapped the IDE ribbon that I had on my hardrives and reset BIOS to the normal slate, before i had a few small optimizations here and there.

aphex
10-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I think its motherboard related. Do you have a mate with the same type of CPU. If you do chuck his motherboard in your pc for an hour and see if that makes a difference. If it does it means your motherboard is buggered.

XMasterX
10-01-2005, 08:16 PM
maybe you should flash your bios or something, reset it to defaults, see if that helps...

Kamalinda
10-01-2005, 08:50 PM
ya try flashing the bios ITZ :)

aphex
10-02-2005, 01:34 AM
WOW I love noobs who repeat what people say.

sinharvist
10-02-2005, 01:46 AM
my friend had a problem with partitions and then he found out it was a boot virus he tried to format, dos etc. he couldnt fix it.

if it is over heating then maybe a extra fan may do the trick. it could be a virus related problem.

if that happened to me, i would try every thing then ask some computer genius, last i would format. hoped i helped.

xlink
10-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by sinharvist@Oct 1 2005, 09:46 PM
my friend had a problem with partitions and then he found out it was a boot virus he tried to format, dos etc. he couldnt fix it.

if it is over heating then maybe a extra fan may do the trick. it could be a virus related problem.

if that happened to me, i would try every thing then ask some computer genius, last i would format. hoped i helped.
I am fairly confident that whatever it was was related to an IDE ribbon dieing on me, as simply swapping it for another fixed it and the problem did not reoccur.

as for not being able to format, as long as a HDD isn't phyically damaged you should always be able to reformat as far as i know, when you say format are you referring to restoring as in using a system restore point? there is a huge diference, one involves whiping your HDD parition and rearranging the data bits and then re-writing to them with a fresh install of the OS.

as for computer genius, most people who regularly post in this section are considered by the masses as "computer geniuses" you know the nerds who built their own computers upgrade etc. and then program a few things for optimization, tweek registry files, etc.

aphex
10-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by zelink@Oct 2 2005, 06:46 PM
most people who regularly post in this section are considered by the masses as "computer geniuses".
Nah we are Computer NERDS

xlink
10-03-2005, 02:55 AM
update, problem is not fixed and i seem to have isolated it. My second hardrive randomly shuts itself off. This causes windows to give a no go after about 30 seconds. Please note that when i say randomly, i mean like once every 5-10 hours, i just had my computer on for over 12 hours strait with no problems until about 2 minutes ago.

My second hardrive is a ultra-ATA 160gig 7200rpm Western digital, I highly doubt it is a motherboard issue.

any advice or is it just a junk HD?