PDA

View Full Version : Wireless + Gaming = Good?

XMasterX
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I am thinking of getting Wireless Internet.

Am i able to game like I can with DSL?

I heard from a friend that gaming wouldnt work on wireless, because of the packets it sends...

Then my Professor said that it shouldnt matter, that it should work just fine...

So what do you think or know?

I don't want to go to Wireless and find out my games don't work online....

+rep for those who really help

DoctorDOS
09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
works fine for me im wireless user, hope this helps you

FM Phalis
09-30-2005, 03:15 PM
well depends where your router if its to far then you wont get a very good signal

fantasystarer
09-30-2005, 03:20 PM
its normal, its just like cable or wire whatever but it sends it as a signal so therefore you are getting the same data-information whatever through the wireless waves, so you will be able to do whatever you do with wire with wireless lol

i have a wireless connection and i have no problem with it, hope this helps you mate :D

Psychodesignz
09-30-2005, 03:23 PM
yeah it will work but it also depends on the signal strenght + if u have alot of electric wiring or aluminium isolated floors the signal will get diffused and u will have a crappy signal the best way is always thru cable cuz the signal is more stable

fantasystarer
09-30-2005, 03:26 PM
well i have no problem with it the signal is fine i guess the electric wiring or aluminium isolated floors dosnt due much

xlink
09-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a crappy adapte in my house, only 11mb/s and somewhat low signal strength dude to location and I game fine.

Aukatrau
09-30-2005, 05:01 PM
My friend uses wireless and it works fine for him. It actually it works better than cable wich I use but I think that is just becuase I have freaking earthlink.

bmchugh
09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Im throught a router awell ( 3 way share). I am getting 48.00mbps signal ( this isnt my net speed :D ) I play cs and that all the time and there isnt much diference, and i have 4mb connection!

You may need help so use these:
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm = for getting past routers and firewalls and to forward to ports

I reccomend disabling norton or whatever anti-virus use use and firewall

Hope this help +rep greatly accepted

[EDIT] im now getting 54.00 mbps which is full :D better than cable [EDIT]

CTEFAH
09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
it works but wireless slows it down

kast?
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd take a normal connection over a wireless one anyday. Using a wireless connection you can get occasional lag spikes and a tad higher ping. I use wireless, and it's not that bad, but if I could, I would definitely use a regular connection. It depends on where the router is in your house, and where you are. There's alot of factors that can effect the stability of the connection, but a normal connection is better than a wireless, everyone will agree with that.

II Phix II
09-30-2005, 05:26 PM
i have ethernet running up the side of my house, i cant stand wireless. Its usefull for browsing the net onna laptop but not much else.

The new MIMO technoloygy is supposed to be very impressive though so if your going to go wireless id look into that

Icyfire
09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
At least to me, wireless is not good for gaming. I've tried it once, and my ping usually around 150-200, and i had lots of lag spikes. Try using ethernet or a direct connection.

glitch
09-30-2005, 05:38 PM
ive had horrible experiences, but it all depends on how much packet loss you get.

BLu1
09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
With WiFi spec G you usualy add 20-40 ms to your ping time.

aphex
09-30-2005, 07:29 PM
^Thats why you have the wireless router next to your gaming pc/console so you can have that hard wired and the rest of the pcs in your house wireless.

System-M3
09-30-2005, 07:37 PM
i use a wireless router and i play cs online and other games fine...or u can always get those wireless routers meant for gaming...search on gamespots hardware section

XMasterX
10-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks all, but some of you don't get it... let me explain...

I currently have DSL, and I have a wireless router, and I have the DSL modem up in my room. The family computer downstairs has a Wireless NIC, and goes through my router, through the modem, and on to the net.

I know wireless 'in the house' works, because I tried it. Works great.

What I'm talking about is a wireless connection to a datacenter, or wherever the net is being broadcasted. I would think that you would get a good Wireless dish, and be able to get fast connections.

Problem is with cable/dsl, it's either too expensive, or isnt available in my area....

Goku
10-01-2005, 10:13 AM
idk, my brother says his connection is better with wireless than without

Dwaylu
10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm on wireless currently, and I have cable, and I get roughly 60% signal all the time, and I get a pign of around 40-50 when playing CS:S

I can surf the web perfectly, the only problem is I constantly have to tweak to get the best signal, but it redeems itself when I can take my computer over to my friends house and just hook up to his wifi.

XMasterX
10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Dwaylu, you don't get it.... Stop helping..

I'm talking about Wireless Internet, NOT 'Wireless off a router that you have cable on'

How can you noobs understand?? *sigh*

aphex
10-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Hmm it would be alright, but expect you pings to be about 15ms higher.

D4rX
10-01-2005, 08:52 PM
my brother plays cs1.6 through our wireless and i do that sometimes with my lappy

its all good as long as the internet connection is good

XMasterX
10-01-2005, 09:41 PM
I should be fine. The datacenter where they broadcast it is only like 25-50 miles away, being that they give you a good attanae, It should be all good.

Thanks to all, and to all a good night.

WindowLicker
10-01-2005, 09:46 PM
works fine with me...
my ISP just sucks lol

burnin5619
10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
there might be some kind of test on the isp's website on what kind of connection you'd get but i dont know...

To me it sounds like a 50:50 chacce of getting a crap connection with lags and high pings or very nice one... and contracts and stuff like that means you wont be able to swtich that easy :-\

XMasterX
10-02-2005, 08:58 PM
yeah, I'll just call the company to get info, and if tthey cant get me info, theyre asholes...

burnin5619
10-03-2005, 12:33 AM
yep exactly cause if they want customers, they gotta have good service and if you cant even get good service to help you decide to go with them, ---- em cause they gotta atleast get you contracted before they can be ass holes

Sand_Man117
10-03-2005, 04:23 AM
onli get wireless if u actually need it tho. if ur pc is right next to the connection then wireless is pointless. also if u do get wireless make sure that ur wireless router will work with ur isp configurations. (just phone them, and ask which one they recommend)

XMasterX
10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
half noob^ I currently have Wireless in my house. I have my downstairs computer talk to my wireless router up here.

Your ISP shouldnt care ---- what Wireless component to use. Any router should work fine with your ISP. Anything they give you is totally overpriced...

And I AM NOT talking about wireless in your home on a DSL connection, I am talking about wirelessly connecting to a Datacenter...

Otaku23
10-03-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm a wireless user, and I've never had any troubles...