PDA

View Full Version : Comments And Criticism [c&c]

Flamesy
05-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Please take some time to read this post.

C&C - What does it mean?

C&C is abbreviated from the phrase ''Comments And Criticism''. So when someone posts a piece of artwork in this section ''Your Stuff'', whether it be a sig, splash, wallpaper, or a larger piece of art, when people state they would like C&C, they want comments and criticism.

Try to be positive, and state your opinion, point out what ''flaw'' you see. Don't forget to supply them with an explanation on why you think this and detailed information on what you think can be improved. It helps if you provide links for the person to follow.

For example. [I'll use PersonA and PersonB]

PersonA : (Posts sig) C&C Please
PersonB : I like this. The background is stunning. However, I'm not so keen on the colour. I suggest trying some multicolour as suppose to monotone. Try this tutorial ; (Tutorial). The text is ace, and the blending is very good.

Keep up the good work. :)

** That's C&C

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is NOT

Person A (Posts sig) C&C Please
Person B That sucks. I hate it. Go die.

Get the picture? ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Please try to keep to these guidelines when people ask for C&C.

Thank you. :D

FM Lawlhalla
05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
yse thank you so much.
for the newbies its gr to have this.

when i said
R&C

some newbie game me credits, and said he couldt give me rep yet.

Flamesy
05-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Ahhh .. :lol:

R&C [Rate and Comment for those who dont know]

Please Please Please try not to give out . ratings. Like 9.567567346356547658, doesn't really help. :rolleyes:

FM Lawlhalla
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
was fun though.
but i sended him the creds back.
im not stealing from him lol

TorMenT
05-21-2005, 12:25 PM
trance= teh secks

as am i

Hellknight
05-21-2005, 12:50 PM
finally!
someone that can clear the path for those newbies!
hopefully they read this though.....

Gator
05-22-2005, 02:41 AM
thanx for ur time and effort of bringing this up, I hope this will help some members to understand the way how to comment and give opinions.

Fate
05-22-2005, 04:58 AM
lol bout time we had this, i better change the way i reply then *sometimes* :lol:

BreakOut
05-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by herokeeper@May 21 2005, 02:38 PM
yse thank you so much.
for the newbies its gr to have this.

when i said
R&C

some newbie game me credits, and said he couldt give me rep yet.
lmao thats awsome good "sportsmanship" given it back tho ;)

actually i've never had a problem with that hmmmm...

Corruption
05-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Thank you atleast now the newbies will know what it means....mind you most newbies i've encountred do give good c&C's.

LucasEdge
06-05-2005, 06:31 AM
i agree that no poeple should flame other poeple about there sis.. just give them some contructive critis if you know what i mean

.:EdG3:.
06-19-2005, 12:28 AM
yea i agree with lucasedge here

Lucas-
06-19-2005, 02:12 PM
People Should Not Be flaming they should give them nice ways to improve there sigs, IMO.

n_a_r_o_k
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
haha i luv the exaple for not C/C lol its like 'Go die' hahaha

Pergio Maximus
08-12-2005, 05:36 AM
I dwell in the critique arenas of the POS:, NEG: and Overall Rating: type of format. So, if I'm in the mood, which I'm all the time, I'll post this format when you see the LevelOne post a C&C in a thread requesting such phenom... ;)

EXAMPLES:
(X): The image is nice.
(-): Nothing negative I see with it.
Overall Rating: 10/10! Brilliant Work! ;)

EXAMPLE # 2:
POS: Smooth. Love the text.
NEG:: The font could use some detailing though.
Overall Rating: 8/10. Keep practicing, regardless...

EXAMPLE # 3:
Positives: Love It....blah, blah....blah!
Negatives: Suggest that you use...blah...blah....blah!
Overall Rate: 7/10. Need more tutorials practices.

Often times, I'll just leave ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS, LINKS, and other times, say NOT RATED, because I desire the person to REDO their submission, and I'll rate it later.

xL_Talent
10-10-2005, 09:11 PM
i usually just give a rating and some advice on how they could improve, if any way i can see. :P even tho im considerd a newb here aint i?

David.Blanch
10-23-2005, 07:21 AM
heeh...
love your example "I hate it. Go die."

fire_monkey
10-30-2005, 04:24 PM
this is handy :)

RuNeKnIgHt
11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but I don't think much people read it XP
Most of the CnC I've been seeing sucks in my opinion ^_^

ollie180
11-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Yea people rate too fast :(

Sun_Fire
11-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Good job on the nearly one month old bump.

Matt.L
11-28-2005, 12:42 AM
people obviously don't read this becaue not so long ago i got horrible feedback for one of my sigs.

Flamesy
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Well I would enforce the rule if I still has that privilege. ;)

hobomonkeyc
02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
hahaha i love your idea in example 2 :P

eatpepsi
02-10-2006, 03:24 PM
c&c my new sig !

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/3417/eatme5zp.gif

Ms.Bex
02-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Ah, I was wondering what C&C stood for. Although I had guessed it meant that :D
Nice to have it confirmed though :)
Thanks for the info :)

DA15
03-27-2006, 02:31 AM
already knew what it meant, but good for the newbs

thanks! :D

.HaVoC.
04-04-2006, 01:43 AM
i hate when people make one word posts :P

AM Anima
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for this little mini tut, it teached me a better way to C&C, though I am tempted to tell someone to go die now...

Outbr3ak
05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Flamesy@May 21 2005, 09:36 AM
Please take some time to read this post.

C&C - What does it mean?

C&C is abbreviated from the phrase ''Comments And Criticism''. So when someone posts a piece of artwork in this section ''Your Stuff'', whether it be a sig, splash, wallpaper, or a larger piece of art, when people state they would like C&C, they want comments and criticism.

Try to be positive, and state your opinion, point out what ''flaw'' you see. Don't forget to supply them with an explanation on why you think this and detailed information on what you think can be improved. It helps if you provide links for the person to follow.

For example. [I'll use PersonA and PersonB]

PersonA : (Posts sig) C&C Please
PersonB : I like this. The background is stunning. However, I'm not so keen on the colour. I suggest trying some multicolour as suppose to monotone. Try this tutorial ; (Tutorial). The text is ace, and the blending is very good.

Keep up the good work. :)

** That's C&C

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is NOT

Person A (Posts sig) C&C Please
Person B That sucks. I hate it. Go die.

Get the picture? ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Please try to keep to these guidelines when people ask for C&C.

Thank you. :D

LOL, go die. nice post:)

Drongon
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by RuNeKnIgHt@Nov 2 2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but I don't think much people read it XP
Most of the CnC I've been seeing sucks in my opinion ^_^

sry for little offtopic, but wow i love ur bananas :D

InsaneKid
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
DAMN .. NOW i know what it stands for .. i only knew comments ..LOL

sealightbreeze
07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
I did not know what it stood for either. I did not even know the comments part. I look stupid now :) LOL

Krysiak
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
i thought it ment

Come & Comment...

i know now :P

Zohair
09-27-2006, 07:21 AM
thanks mate nice examples :lol:

Galione
10-13-2006, 01:34 AM
I like the term comment and critique better, I think there would be less noobs trying to bash on good artwork instead of trying to be an artist and critque it. I believe it would force some of the noobs (and I say only some) to actually become an artist and not a hobbiest.

ty come again

jdoggfoelife
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
thanks for this, sorry if i didn't do it to these specific guidlines, i didn't get to this thread, i just went straight to the graphics to see all the great work people do on here.

now i know what to do but i just feel kinda funny giving all that info to someone who has maybe done this longer than i, i want to give criticism without sounding like a know-it-all when i'm not, nah mean?

rewind`
01-02-2007, 09:13 AM
ahhhh man. but its funny when they ask what it is. i like telling them, makes me seem smart.

:D

MockingMonkey
01-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Don't worry, I wont insult anyone.

SuicidalS0ulja
02-14-2007, 05:24 PM
i sometimes just use CC for Creative Critism :) :)

nanSTA
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
WOW, thanx did know what it ment till now xD. I was laughing my ass of when i read the THIS IS NOT part, dunno why, i'm weird like that.

SF Love
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I wish more people would read this! I have been seeing a lot of "Good.", "I like it". Doesn't help the artist a lot!

JL Rubidox
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by love@Feb 28 2007, 01:32 AM
I wish more people would read this! I have been seeing a lot of "Good.", "I like it". Doesn't help the artist a lot!

I completely agree.

What I sometimes do is give "Pic Reviews." I'll paste their tag into MS Paint and point out stuff I do and don't like using the circle and line tools. It really helps. ;)

SF Love
02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah I saw you do that! Loved it haha!

<3

JL Rubidox
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by love@Feb 28 2007, 02:23 AM
Oh yeah I saw you do that! Loved it haha!

<3

Thanks. ;)

.difuzeD
03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I always thought C&C was Chainsaws & Children...

:P Just kidding. Never get a chance like that to say something dumb in public.

P.S. Thanks. Now I know what R&C is :)

HG666
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Will help the ones that don't know it yet

Holy Oblivion
04-14-2007, 10:19 PM
KNOW WHAT?! WHAT DON'T I KNOW, DAMMIT!!!

photocrazy
09-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Hello everyone, I am somewhat new to this site, but I was a GFX artist at another site, which has recently gone down the drain. Anyways, I want to continue making sigs and stuff, so if you have any extra info on how I can improve on my artwork, it is much appreciated. Thanks.

Here is one i threw together yesterday:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/zeldacrazy/Roxassig.png

Oh, and just to let you know, my last site was a zelda site, so my name was "Zeldacrazy" so that is why you see "ZC" on my sigs. I need to get a consistent name I can use for different sites, lol. :D

Chucks
09-02-2007, 08:36 AM
^ You posted it in the wrong thread ><

This thread explains what C&C is and what it stands for, not for posting your work for C&C =P

photocrazy
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh... Sorry about that. which thread am I supposed to post in?

Genes.Buffet
09-09-2007, 08:59 AM
A CnC guide I wrote for other sites... I did take references here and there, but they virtually all my own work. Hope it might enhance some ppl's understanding of CnC.

Often times, when a person posts up a piece of his works, be it a signature, large piece, or what not, he or she would want to receive some constructive comments and criticisms, or C&C for short, about his work. This is because they want to receive general feedback about their work and be noted of any potential flaws and weaknesses so as to improve.

A good constructive comment should be one in a positive tone, with reason and justification to back whatever view one has of the particular piece of work. Simply saying a signature sucks doesn't help the creator at all, and is very impolite as well. If a signature is really bad, do maintain at least a neutral tone and justify why you think it's bad. For instance, instead of saying "The colours suck", one can say "The colours do not fit this sig because the red and green does not complement well". In addition, adding some tips or methods to improve the sig in your comments can also help the creator greatly.

If you are unsure about what to include in your C&C, here are some things you could take into consideration when ------uating a piece of work:

Composition
This is a very general term to describe, literally, the composition of the piece of work. In other words, it is used to refer to the various elements of the piece of work and how they come together into a whole.

Stock/Render Placement
Stock and Render placement simply refers to how the designer positions his stock or render in this work. The stock or render in any piece of work should look natural with the other elements of the piece. It cannot be too big or too small, or be positioned at weird areas or angles. In addition, if a human stock or render is used, look out for the commonly committed Floating Head Syndrome where in a certain piece, only the head is shown, which makes it look very weird most of the time.

Focal Point
A focal point, as the name implies, is the focus of any piece of work. It is the first point in a piece that you look at. Having a good focal point will make the piece more defined and less chaotic.

Flow
Flow is often viewed as a perceived directional link that unifies the whole piece. It is commonly created by using effects all flowing in the same direction, much like a river flow. Literally, having a good flow makes your piece flow. It gives your work more fluidity, and can make it more energetic and more dynamic.

Perspective (Depth)
Depth refers to the spatial arrangement of objects within a piece of work, creating a depth of field or evoking an illusion or sense of dimension in a flat two dimensional piece. A basic and fundamental guideline would be that near things are sharp and far things are blurred.

Colours
Colours refer to the various hues in a given piece, at varying saturation and intensity. A good colour scheme would be one which is natural, complementary and fits the mood of the piece. For instance, when a piece is very solemn and dark, vibrant and saturated colours will definitely look out-of-place and vice versa.

Lighting
Lighting is basically the illumination in a given piece of work. Do make sure that the lighting corresponds to the light source, if any. In addition, good lighting tends to blend in naturally with the other elements of the piece, so avoid going overboard with it and making your piece too bright.

Text
Many people like to finish off their work with some text. Good text blends with the other elements of the piece and doesn't look "slapped on". Do remember that a good text can bring your work to another level and a bad text on a good piece can really bring it down alot.

However, do note that not every piece needs to display all the above elements. The things highlighted above are meant as a simple guide and not a mantra in which you must abide religiously by. For example, some pieces like flat vectors are meant to have no depth, so don't go around saying "Depth sucks" or "No depth" unless you really know what you are doing. Try to understand what the creator is trying to convey to you instead of just lambasting on his lack of depth, text, etc. when it is not needed.

In the end, always remember that people put in a lot of effort into making their work. Even if their work might not be up to your standard, it never hurts to encourage them. Instead of just simply listing out the flaws, you could end of your comment with something on a positive note like "However, it is still a good attempt and you have indeed improved alot." Be nice, and your kindness and constructiveness will get reciprocated one day. (:[/b]

Toybox2
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice sig, lighting is a little to dark :)

the text is flawless !!!

good focal point ^^

Nice Job keep up the work

[T] Torrent
10-22-2007, 02:12 AM
thx, yes its sad, but i didn't know what C&C meant till I read this. lol.

horns
12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
what do you think about >>kairi and naminé ???

horns
12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
or what do you think about sora>>master form

horns
12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
or else... which one is the best ??? >>>
commments pls =P

Dark Leon
12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
1st one:

Main rule: Don't use more than 1 render and don't make them too big. try to blend the render in with the BG and add some filter effects. And do something about your font...

2nd one:

Blend the render, try and make the sig smaller and change the font

3rd one:

All what was said above...

And stop double/triple posting

.Bao
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
C&C...something everyone eventually needs to learn sometime in their life.

:]

Ryuuji
06-23-2008, 05:28 AM
<---Here's one of those foul creatures known as newbies :P

i understand not knowing what C&C stands for, but common sense should be enough to grasp the difference between criticism and flaming.

too bad some people lack common sense.

DRM
12-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Good Post, had an idea what it meant but nice to see it confirmed.

LFDN
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Let the comment flow
http://imgbird.com/images/sorrowedited1lyl.jpg

http://imgbird.com/images/upgradesrcr.jpg

Neto
08-19-2011, 11:22 AM
^ You posted it in the wrong thread ><

This thread explains what C&C is and what it stands for, not for posting your work for C&C =P

of course that's what this thread is for, to see what people think of their art

@LFDN:
I can't see the two you posted but your sig looks good. Nice blends, but you should have some more contrast in areas, to bring focus off the text a little. Just seems a little out of place

I haven't made a sig in years, but you can C&C what I have