PDA

View Full Version : Redhat-fedora; Making The Switch

xlink
01-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Essentially I wish to add linux fedora to this computer. I have far more tha enough hardrive space, any precations and any advice, thank you.

Seed
01-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Are you going to create a dual boot?

xlink
01-23-2005, 01:24 AM
dual boot, i am making a 3rd partition, and running two OSes, so yeah...

EDIT:ok, i am having trouble with installing it, i have it completely DLed and burned to a disc, properly might I add, I used a program with the ISO image... i need to start my computer in DOS, and only dos, no windows... how should I do this if I am running XP SP2?

Jedi1241
01-23-2005, 10:23 AM
F10 or w.e key that activates command menu or recovery console

xlink
01-23-2005, 12:44 PM
I beleive I have tried both and yet they lead to nothing, damn i wish this was windows 98 I could do such so easily in it... well I shall keep messing around..

Hennessy
01-23-2005, 03:19 PM
U burnt it as a ISO, Doesnt it automattically boot to install?

Ive nver worked with Fedora, But I have installed Mandrake 10.1 and Used a Knoppix Live CD

KernKraft
01-23-2005, 03:51 PM
yeah. i am at computing school. and my teacher was doing at a class installing fedora for 8.50 dollar he bought it.

its very usefull program.

maybe i am going to use it to :D

xlink
01-23-2005, 06:16 PM
it doesn't do anything on start up it is ignored, which is odd. I burnt it as an ISO and as a file and have tried both. when i go to view the disc there are folders and not the single image. really all i need for now is a way to start up in msDOS, going to run and typing "cmd" doesn't cut it as I need to only be running DOS and not windows...

mtblaze
01-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I had fun with that flava of linux and they seem to get better with time. The Blue Curve desktop is sweet and feels almost as confortable windows. The only problem to me using these operating systems you will definately spend some quality time trying to learn it and be prepared to get a pair of reading glasses for those late nights reading HOW-TOs. However, Linux is good mind exercise.