PDA

View Full Version : Whiping The Computer Clean

xlink
01-10-2005, 04:09 AM
I have my windows back up CD that came with this computer, and I have come to the point where there is a need to use it(got some really bad stuff while looking for a key) and an ordinary system restore won't do the trick, any advice on what I should back up, what precautions I should take etc.

so far this is the list of things I am saving

music
fonts
some files in my document
brushes
PS 8cs
PSP 7

and that is likely it as I can replace everything else with ease.

is there anything you suggest doing or backing up, because from what i know this pretty much whipes the hardrive clean.

VEXTA
01-10-2005, 04:35 PM
nah i think that sould be cool,

unless if you got some rele heavy programs that u use all da time. den you save em :D

aphex
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
dont backup photoshop and PSP, cause then your only backing up the files for the programs in the Program Files directory and no some of the vital files tossed into the windows directory.

//CrazyHorse
01-10-2005, 05:54 PM
The things you got listed should be good, besides PS and CS. If you burn the program files to a CD, they won't work when you restore them. You have to burn the setup files.

sureshot
01-10-2005, 06:13 PM
-My Documents
-Warez Shared folder

xlink
01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I was refering to saving the .zip file PS as I still beleive I have it and I don't want to do warez.

one thing, any precations, I should take, any advice?

HydrogeN
01-11-2005, 05:40 PM
If you are going to completely reformat your hard disk, I would recommend making a list of things you want to have after the wipe. Take into account that the brushes you have installed for PS are files, you'll need to find those and save them in a zip. For example a list I might make:

o System drivers and fixes
o Fonts
o Brushes
o Win Theme Settings
o Registry (for reference)
o Patches, fixes
o Messenger logs
o My Documents (if you use that folder // or similar)
o Plugins for various programs
o Export messenger contacts list (if your client saves it locally)
o Your artwork (sigs, renders, icons, cursors etc)

You might also want to compile a list of links to where you can retrieve patches if you no longer possess the patching program. Regarding Windows, the chances are that the problem you are encountering can be fixed by using a program such as adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/). I'd advise you run virus scans and look at running this before reformatting. If you can't even get into windows at all, you might want to consider using a secondary hard disk to install windows on and fix the infected one from there (has worked for me in the past).

Hope this is of some use to you dude and good luck fixing it!