PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Job!

DiabloDj1
03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Allright, I'm only 15 as of Jan. 13, so are there any jobs you would reccomend me getting? The one I had was just shoveling snow for some buissnesses...but its warm out now..hmm..

I can try gettin a job with the town to pick up trash once a week, thats like 70 bucks for two days I think. A very easy job. But that isnt for a while, i want money sooner.
Any ideas for some easy jobs I can take? I dont wanna do any crap where I take orders and bring out food for peeps...

.Simplicity
03-20-2006, 03:07 PM
*Most* places wouldn't hire you to take orders yet anyway, but I know what you mean, I'm 16 and refuse to get a job yet because I still don't have my license and the only thing around here is fast food, which I won't do.

I guess you gotta just go with the flow and take what comes along, we can't really be of any help if we don't live in your town or at least know what it's like(businesses and stuff) :P

Slywolf
03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
You need have at least 16 years... With 15 years the only job that I advise you is being a drug dealer... :lol: Kidding

I dont wanna do any crap where I take orders and bring out food for peeps...

There isn't any formula for making money with 15 years... You have start from somewhere

minxette
03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah...at your age, you're not going to find much if you don't want to do fast food or anything.

Try your library though, they usually hire teenagers as pages (put away books and stuff like that).

DiabloDj1
03-20-2006, 03:15 PM
allright thanks. Library was a nice idea thanks.

VenomousDuck
03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Well summer is coming theres always lawn mowing. I have a full time job and i'm still broke. Somethings wrong wit hym truc kand the dude wants $900.00 to fix it. DAMNIT! :P

UV Soaked
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Hmm, well im 16 waiting to get a job during ths summer, dont work at fast food places..those are nasty, u can get really ood focus on designing and stuff like that and try to get jobs which im doing at the moment,create vectors submit them to istockphoto.com stuff like that :]

minxette
03-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by VenomousDuck@Mar 20 2006, 02:19 PM
Well summer is coming theres always lawn mowing. I have a full time job and i'm still broke. Somethings wrong wit hym truc kand the dude wants $900.00 to fix it. DAMNIT! :P

Yikes.

I definitely understand the 'having a job and still broke' thing :S

I personally am back on the search, having had to quit my old job after injuring my back in a car accident.

dementia
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
get a work release form from school and have your parents sign it, its basically saying although you are not 16 your parents as well as yourself would like you to have a job and that you will work, etc.

despite the lawsuits wal-mart has, they are an absolutely GREAT company to work for, cart pushing has got to be one of the easiest, most rewarding jobs in the world. if the lot is cleared, you can go get something from the deli, get a soda and sit back till your shift is over lol

any grocery place would be great as well, being a bagger/cart pusher normally (they normally arent 2 seperate jobs at grocery stores, you usually do both).

i would highly recommend you DO NOT GO TO FAST FOOD. The managers have always been bitchy to me despite me working my hardest, even on the first day. They have horrible working conditions, horrible scheduling (your lunch and breaks all revolve around other people and whether they choose to come back or not) and its just horrible.

those i think would be your only options. at 16 you can work as a cashier in like outlet malls and smaller companies stores, but usually not large corporations like wal-mart, target, etc.

VenomousDuck
03-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Hope your o.k. Minx. Just goes to show working people never have any money either:P

DiabloDj1
03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
k, thanks guys...

I'm planning on selling a good 200 gfx here to make some cash along with all my creds I got :D

minxette
03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by VenomousDuck@Mar 20 2006, 02:25 PM
Hope your o.k. Minx. Just goes to show working people never have any money either:P

I'm mostly better, it's been three months and it only bothers me now if I do something to strain my back - which is why I had to quit in the first place, I put too much pressure on my back and wound up being unable to move for a week.

I personally say if you can, get a job in a theater. It's busy, but it's pretty cool. And you get to see movies for free at most theaters. The only thing that sucks is if you have to work concessions during a rush, or if you're ushering and a bunch of packed shows let out at the same time and you've got to clean all the theaters. When I worked there we came up with all sorts of ways to get everything done fast though (most popular method while cleaning was Operation Dumbo Drop - pull out the garbage can and try to drop everything into it. If you miss first, you've got to clean up all the stuff that's missed by the end). Ticket taker, though, is honestly the EASIEST job in the world - you just stand there and tear tickets. Most people hated doing it, but if I was on concessions I would do all I could to trade with whoever was on ticket taker (I HATED concessions, even though I was really good at it).

.Simplicity
03-20-2006, 03:49 PM
This Summer my dad is giving me his '92 Camaro, then I'll be getting my license and getting a job in the mall about 30 minutes away, but until then I'm thinking about the grocery store uptown, it's not TOO bad, and they pay better than most places around here, so yeah, grocery store is a decent place to start at :P

DiabloDj1
03-20-2006, 03:51 PM
hmm...i like the theater idea as I know one that usually isnt busy at all.

dementia
03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DiabloDj1@Mar 20 2006, 01:51 PM

that also usually means they arent hiring lol

JustMario
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I work at a grocery store bagging groceries and pushing carts. Pay isnt bad for most other places in town and its a union job.

I'd recommend that if nothing else comes up.

minxette
03-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by .Dementia+Mar 20 2006, 02:53 PM--><!--QuoteBegin-DiabloDj1@Mar 20 2006, 01:51 PM

that also usually means they arent hiring lol
[/b]

It depends.

If it's dead on the weekends, then no, chances are they won't be hiring. But I've never heard of a theater that's not busy during the weekend.

If it's not busy during the week, that's normal. When I worked during the week we'd usually have 10 people tops - 2-3 on concession, one usher, one ticket taker, 2 people in box, and then a couple of supervisors/managers. But during the weekends it was insane.

DoomedKiller
03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
my friend works at bk and he gets about 6.15 an hour and he works 43 hours averge so he makes a lil over 250

mC˛ vV
03-20-2006, 04:39 PM
kroger/marsh has easy jobs... you know just helping someone by carrying their bags, putting things in bags, etc.. i did that when i was 14. i am 20 now, and i have alot of things that helped me from this job.. skills, etc..

UV Moose
03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Big chain stores usually make it so that you have to be 18 to work during any season and 16 in the summer, so at 15 maybe try to get a cleaning job at a local store, it's a start, but that's more or less what you can do legally

UV Soaked
03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by UV Moose@Mar 20 2006, 08:43 PM
Big chain stores usually make it so that you have to be 18 to work during any season and 16 in the summer, so at 15 maybe try to get a cleaning job at a local store, it's a start, but that's more or less what you can do legally

:D

Dusklex
03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I am going to start working at a grocery store (Publex) in november of this year they higher at 14 I belive the pay is like $5.50 at 14 the only thing you can do though is fronting (pulling items from the back of shelfs up) and bagging but at 14 getting that kind of job is pretty sweet (pay wise) I would suggest if there is a Publex there or any good grocery stores that are needing ppl than shoot for that all though movie theatre would be the pwn :)

.Simplicity
03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
My cousin worked at a movie theater and got us free movie tickets while he was working, go for it! Lol. :D

Renagade
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
My current situation:

I turned 16 January 7th. I have had a job for 3 years now. I started early because it was a friend of the family.

Ironically working ruined my social life. Making money was great no doubt about that but I had no time after school or anything.

I wouldn't worry about getting a job at your age. Just live your life and be with friends as much as you can at your age. (sounds like I'm in my 80s) but I have already gone through it.

--Renagade

Daz
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I have had a job since a month of turning 13 as a paper boy, getting up at 5am every morning to sort out the papers, serve a few customers and then do a round, pay was crap but I got alot of experience...
I now work for one of the biggest uk retailers as an unoffical supervisor (being the most experience person there...doing manger tasks without the pay)
A paper round let me have a social life, whilst still earning a little money...and being a waiter isn't all that bad, if u can get work with a nice resturant you can earn some tips...oh and get a push bike for all those lazy enough not to walk anyway, when u don't own a car

:P Daz

R E V O
03-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I work part time, so I basically get $70 - $270 here and there.

I could work more if I wanted to, but I'm fine with what I get right now.

Have to start working more though because of my funds for the 360 :unsure:

dementia
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
You guys are mentioning $6/hr kind of jobs, when I worked at wal-mart the pay started at a base of $8/hr for a cart pusher. I was hired at $10/hr because of my mom, so I was making $400/wk before taxes (about $350/wk with taxes), so it was really nice money. You have a cart machine at the bigger places (its a machine that pushes 20-120 carts, our maximum with 6 people guiding/helping, you need to be 16 to guide and 18 to operate, but they are leniant on that) and you can clear a wal-mart parking lot in the middle of christmas season in 1-2 hours then go take an hour or two break and go back at it, getting paid all at the same time. On top of the great pay/easy work you also stay in shape (pushing 20 carts alone at a time for 4-8 hours tends to get your abs/arms/legs into shape).

I am actually sad I lost my job at wal-mart, it was seriously my best job, the managers were great, the job was so much fun when you got to know the guys, the pay was good, i cant even stress how nice it was. The best part is they almost ALWAYS need cart pushers as most can only work part time and if you start now you can have a full time job over summer more than likely with benefits and stuff (after 90-120 days they will offer you a full-time, full employee thing that has great everything). It really isnt a bad place to continue working for the rest of your life. Most wal-mart store managers and higher ups (district managers, state, country, etc.) started out at wal-marts cashier or cart pushing areas. They now make multiple hundreds of thousands, maybe low millions as a CEO/manager of sales kind of thing, and any manager (department managers and anything higher) are guarenteed bonus checks of nothing less than 5K at the end of the year. You get 10% off normally, and if your store stays accident safe for 30 days its an additional 10% off any other 1 product (making 20% off) and they are very lenient on taking days off and stuff.

I think the store manager has a salary of like $100,000 a year and he expects between a $25,000 and $75,000 bonus at the end of the year varying on how well the store did throughout the year (i live in a pretty heavily populated area, so the store is always busy with business).